Moving Tips NYC - October 19, 2020
Moving without professional assistance can be difficult, but it’s not an impossible task. If you are planning a DIY moving to NYC, you should consider reading the following guide. Before we continue, maybe you should rent reusable moving boxes that you know are reliable. Here are some tips for organizing a smooth relocation to the Big Apple without paying for a moving service.
Make a moving plan
Just to be clear, it is very important to write down and follow some rules if you want to succeed in this process because even a small mistake can cost you a lot of money and time.
Take a look at some steps you should take when making a moving plan:
- Write down a list of important contacts. Whether it’s a bank or your landlord you need to call, these are some of the tasks you shouldn’t forget to handle.
- Calculate your moving costs. Estimating your moving costs on time will help you avoid many moving troubles.
- Assess your inventory. DIY moving to NYC can get complicated easily, especially when moving too many items. It could be a good idea to downsize and relocate a smaller number of belongings.
- Decide what you want to do with excessive items. After decluttering, you will have a few options. You can either sell, donate, give away, or get rid of unnecessary items.
- Start looking for an apartment on time. Finding a new home in NYC can be tiring, especially if you want to rent an apartment. Make sure to look for listings on time and find a good roommate before the move.
- Prepare money for housing and other costs. No matter how much money you want to save during the move, you should always account for a few extra costs.
- Make a list of packing supplies. Whether you are moving by yourself or with friends helping, you will need to make a list of supplies before the packing process starts.
Establish a budget before the move
Even though a DIY move doesn’t imply spending money on a professional moving service, you should still make a budget. The estimate of your moving costs will depend on many factors. Without hiring movers, there will be many tasks to handle. For starters, you will need to buy or rent packing supplies, handle housing paperwork, and many other things. One of the best things you can do while DIY moving to NYC is to calculate your moving costs and make a list of your expenses. Some of the main factors that should form your budget are the size of your inventory, the distance of your move, and the amount of time you will have to plan the relocation. Keep in mind that you might have some unexpected costs, depending on the way you plan to transport your belongings.
Look for a new home on time
Moving to NYC for the first time can be difficult, especially while looking for new homes. Since this city is very expensive to live in, finding an affordable home can be a challenge. Many people in New York City decide to rent an apartment with one or many roommates. This arrangement is the best solution for people moving to the city with a limited budget. That is why you should start looking for homes early on, especially before moving in with a roommate in NYC. There are many online resources you can use to find information and meet new people before the move.
Downsize your inventory when DIY moving to NYC
Among other tips for DIY moving to NYC, this is probably the most useful one. Without professional moving assistance, you might have a hard time moving a large inventory. This is why downsizing can be the best solution, especially if you plan to move into a rental apartment. In case you have too many items to pack and don’t plan to downsize, there is another solution. You can find a convenient storage unit and keep your belongings safe during the moving process. Make sure to look for reusable moving totes for packing your items, since they are sturdy and waterproof.
Pack like a professional
Before the moving day arrives, the packing process will most likely take a lot of time. That is why moving professionals recommend making a packing plan, which can help you organize. What you should do is to sort out your belongings and make a list of items you need to pack. This will help you calculate the amount of packing supplies needed for the move. You can find either standard cardboard boxes or rent cheap plastic bins for moving. If you are in doubt, you can always hire professional packers to handle the packing of fragile and oversized items.
More tips for DIY moving to NYC
If you need to move to the Big Apple and you don’t have professional movers by your side, take a look at the following tips:
- Start planning the move early on.
- Don’t save on packing supplies, especially for packing fragile items.
- Cut down on your moving costs by selling some of your inventory before the move.
- Prepare for the moving day. Choose comfortable clothes and pack a necessity bag.
- Keep important documents on your person at all times.
- Stay safe during a DIY move and use proper lifting techniques when handling heavy objects.
- Make a list of important things you could forget on a moving day.
DIY moving to NYC can be challenging, but it can be a success, too. If you plan this process one step at a time, you should be able to avoid moving troubles.