Eco Friendly Packing Guide - July 24, 2020
While many people are excited about their move to a new home, not a lot of them look forward to packing. Still, for anyone relocating or taking on a storage project, it is part one simply cannot get around. Therefore, they realize they might as well do it right. So, we’re going to make things easier for you. Instead of letting you go through the dilemma of whether it’s better to use cardboard boxes or plastic bin boxes, we’re going to do you one better. The short answer is: plastic boxes are better than cardboard ones. If you need a bit more convincing, keep reading.
Plastic boxes are better than cardboard ones because they are more secure
If the boxes are safe, so are your things. So, for anyone packing their belongings, the durability and security of these two options is an important thing to consider. To cut a long story short – plastic containers most definitely win in this department! Want some elaboration? Down below you can see the reasons why plastic receptacles beat their cardboard alternatives in this area.
You will see that cardboard is not as strong, attracts insects, and is weakened by water. You do not want any of those things to happen. Here is what you get by using plastic boxes.
- Sturdiness- Cardboard might not be the most desirable option for storing your belongings since it isn’t the most resistant and enduring material. Plastic is, naturally, both thicker and harder, providing a highly-reliable kind of protection for a broad spectrum of items.
- Bug immunity- Also, there’s no getting around the fact that insects love cardboard. Our guess is that you wouldn’t like bringing termites, beetles, roaches, silverfish, and the rest of the creepy-crawlies into your new home or storage.
- Resistance to the elements- Lastly, when contemplating why plastic boxes are better than cardboard ones, you need to ask yourself – what if it rains or snows? Cardboard boxes are way more fragile than their plastic alternative. Water can very easily damage cardboard, as it soaks up the moisture, whereas plastic is waterproof does not degrade.
Plastic receptacles are a more desirable option in terms of affordability
When matched up against cardboard in terms of cost-efficiency, the point again goes to plastic containers. The reason might be a bit harder to grasp since you’re probably aware that you could very easily get cardboard boxes for free. Nevertheless, the matter needs to be observed from all angles. The best thing to do is to look at your packing supplies in terms of investment.
Your items will be safer in plastic
Although free, cardboard boxes are easily prone to damage and breakage. Excluding the potential risks of floods, leaky pipes, not-so-watertight basement, or a storage unit is the risk in itself. The first reason is the fact that you might end up having to find or buy new boxes. The second, which is pretty much a deal-breaker, is the fact that your valuable items could be permanently damaged. Although it might seem like a threat to your wallet, it’s really not as big as losing your valuables to damage when you think about it. But don’t let this get you down, if you’re able to find cheap plastic bins for moving, the prices are on a par with bought cardboard.
Plastic boxes are better than cardboard ones because they are here to stay
Another plus side of getting plastic boxes instead of cardboard ones is the fact that they survive the test of time. In other words, they belong to that category of moving supplies you can reuse. They are reusable as they cannot tear, wear down, or get waterlogged. In the best case of scenario, you might be able to go without having to by another set of plastic moving bins ever again. Even if you no longer need them after you’ve made your move, you can either use them to store lots of things in your home or pass them down to a friend. The same thing cannot be said for the cardboard boxes, as they could be all worn out by the time you give them away.
You can rent them instead of buying them
The great thing is, you can rent reusable moving boxes. If you mean to use them for this move alone, paying only to rent quality plastic bins is a great option to go for. They are easy to get. The company you decide to rent from delivers the reusable moving bins. After your relocation is complete, they come and pick them up. The companies usually have them in many shapes and sizes, so you can choose them depending on your needs.
Some additional benefits of plastic boxes
In the plastic vs. cardboard packaging race, plastic also has a clear edge over cardboard when it comes to:
- Simplicity- Plastic bin boxes are a safer and easier solution for both packing as well. Anyone can do it.
- Loading them into the truck- As they don’t need to assemble, whereas their cardboard cousins do.
- Stacking- As good quality ones can be stacked higher and hold more weight than normal cardboard ones.
- Aesthetics- Since colorful plastic containers are much more pleasing to the eye.
- Color-coding your items- For instance, you can store your kids’ toys in the yellow box, and the shirts in the green one.
As you can see, plastic boxes are better in many ways
Since plastic storage containers offer a higher degree of reuse, they will not go to waste. Even if they’re not made from recycled plastic, there are still lots of possibilities. If you don’t plan on reusing them for a next move, you can put them to good use as storage in your home. In case you don’t plan to keep them, you can give them to a friend. If nothing else, you can always sell them to the next person in need. And if you only rented them, simply give them back to the company. Quite a wide range of options, right? The point is, plastic boxes are better than cardboard ones.