Eco Friendly Packing Guide - June 29, 2019
When it comes to the environment, all of us should be very cautious about the kind of products we use on a daily basis. We take things for granted and our lifestyle is the living proof for that. However, it’s necessary to reduce the impact on the environment as much as we can. We can do this by changing lifestyle just a little bit. If all of us wanted to reduce our carbon footprint, we would live healthier and better. Therefore, we’re here to tell you that even relocations can be eco-friendly! To prove you this, we have created a guide on the best environmentally-friendly packing supplies or other alternatives. Fortunately, there are a lot of quality moving supplies NYC that you can use for your upcoming relocation. Keep reading to learn them all!
Using environmentally-friendly materials for the relocation
Do you know what is necessary for the move of one average American family? Apart from the good organizational and problem-solving skills, there’s more. You’ll need approximately 130 medium to extra large boxes, 10 wardrobe boxes, 20 lbs of packing paper, 100 feet of wrapping material, 10 picture boxes, 5 rolls of tape… The list just goes on and on! Not only you’ll have to spend a lot of your time and money on finding and buying all of these supplies, but you’ll also have to dispose of all of it after the move. And then people say post-move days are easy… But, what if we tell you that your relocation doesn’t have to look like this? There are many ways of doing this and one of them is using eco-friendly packing materials!
Every day, more and more people are choosing to enter the global project of saving our planet. This is why there are global activities such as the Earth Hour or coming up with eco-friendly alternatives to traditional packing materials. From recyclable plastics to biodegradable boxes and containers, it seems like there is no end to the options available for an eco-friendly relocation.
What the best environmentally-friendly packing supplies are?
If you decide to pack moving boxes by yourself, it’s necessary to know how to make your relocation green. Don’t get us wrong, paper and cardboard are great materials. The only problem is that you’ll have to reuse them after the move. Also, you will want to use different household items you already have as alternatives to packing materials. This goes for bed sheets, garbage bags, towels, blankets. But let’s go one step a time. There’s no need for rushing things. First, let’s find out what the best environmentally-friendly packing supplies are. The next thing we’ll do is write about alternatives and give you other “green” tips for your move.
Eco-friendly packing supplies
Packing your items the right way is of the utmost importance when moving. To do this, you’ll need good skills, and of course, good packing materials. We’ll be telling you about those that are considered to be good for eco-friendly relocations. Here are some of the green packing supplies you might want to get for your upcoming relocation.
- Biodegradable packing peanuts. This cushioning material is usually made out of styrofoam. And styrofoam is everything but eco-friendly. Fortunately, you can still use it for cushioning your items since you can now find a biodegradable kind.
- Air pillows and wraps made out of recyclable materials. There is a number of alternatives currently being developed in order to reduce the usage of plastics.
- Cornstarch or mushroom packaging. These are very interesting alternatives to traditional packing supplies. Using organic materials for relocations can become a habit in the near future.
- Eco-friendly and recycled plastic. You can’t avoid using plastic in fully. Plastic containers are sturdy and provide extra protection to your belongings during the move. This is why boxes and containers are now mostly made out of recycled plastic.
- Stuff you already own. As we have already told you, items we already own can be of use during the relocation. You can use towels, blankets, old sweaters, garbage bags, suitcases, backpacks, and so on… All you have to do is think outside the box!
Eco-friendly moving boxes
If you’re interested in green relocations, you should consider getting plastic moving bins NYC ahead of time. Renting these bins can help you a lot during your move. First of all, these bins are made out of recycled plastic. This means that they’ll be sturdy enough to keep your items safe during transportation to their new location. Next, plastic bins can handle heavier items. Damaging them during the move is almost impossible! Also, what most people like about using plastic bins for relocations, is the fact that you’ll stack them with ease in a moving truck! Even if you place a heavier box on top of the lighter one, you won’t crush it as you would do with cardboard boxes.
Other tips for the green relocation
So, for a green relocation, you’ll have to rent moving bins NYC that are made out of best environmentally-friendly packing supplies. After this, you’ll be almost ready for the move. But, there are other ways of making the relocation greener. To help you with this, we have prepared some additional moving tips.
- Declutter before the move and separate items you don’t want to use. Try donating these pieces or selling them.
- Pack in containers you already have, such as suitcases and drawers.
- Don’t pack your entire kitchen right away! Leave out just enough kitchen items to get you through the relocation, so that you don’t have to use plastic plates and cups.
- Use natural cleaning products to clean both old and new home. There’s no point in using harsh and toxic chemicals when you can make them by yourself! And, some natural cleaners are even better than the ones you can buy in stores.