Professional Relocation Services - April 12, 2020
In these difficult times, you must protect your family from COVID-19 when moving. A move itself is a process in which you are exposed to many bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately, now, you have one more thing to worry about and it is a virus that has spread all around the world. Luckily, we have information that can help you protect yourself and your family from the virus while moving.
The first step to protect your family from COVID-19 when moving
The first and most important step is to know what you’re dealing with. In order to protect yourself and your family from something, you must first inform yourself about everything there is to know about it. In this case, it is an awful virus that spreads quickly.
What you should know about COVID-19
COVID-19 is a disease caused by a newly-found coronavirus. It spreads through saliva and discharges from the nose and mouth when a person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread, logically, by touch if an infected person had touched his/her nose, eyes or mouth. At this time, there is no vaccine or official treatment that can cure the virus. All around the world, people are trying to find a cure. The symptoms are coughing, fever, tiredness, and difficulty breathing in severe cases.
Ways to prevent getting infected when moving
We must first emphasize that this applies to adults and children and that all precautionary measures are the same for everyone, regardless of age.
- Wash your hands– Of course, you wash your hands regularly, but with the virus so easily spread, you must wash your hands more frequently.
- Using a tissue– It is very important that you use a tissue when you cough and sneeze. Even if you are not infected, this is the responsible thing to do.
- Avoiding contact– You must keep a safe distance from people, which would be at last 1,5 m. Avoid shaking hands, hugging, kissing or any other close contact with people.
- Wearing a mask and gloves– This is a great way to protect your family from COVID-19 when moving. Wear a mask at all times, as well as gloves. These protect your mouth and nose from possible droplets of saliva and nose discharges from someone who might be infected. The gloves prevent direct contact by hands to anyone who is infected. Also, from anything that has the virus on it.
- Cleaning– It is more than important to clean more than you usually do. It is recommended to use alcohol, especially on metal surfaces. Remember to clean the doorknobs and anything that is frequently touched. This might seem like overreacting, but in this current situation, it certainly is not. It would be good to remind you that cardboard moving boxes can’t be cleaned so you would be wise to use eco friendly moving boxes for your move.
How to protect your family during a move
We understand that protection includes many things that are unusual. Unfortunately, in order to protect your family, you must make some of these things a habit. There are many of them that can help you keep safe from this horrible disease. Choosing plastic bins can protect you from the virus, believe it or not. You can even find very cheap plastic bins for moving.
Materials you should use when moving
Since metal surfaces keep the virus the longest, or so it is said, avoiding metal completely would be best, especially in the moving process. There are substitutes that are more than useful or even better. Other materials are more acceptable. The best might be plastic. You can use plastic bin boxes. This will help you in more than one way. Moving and storage bins are touched by you and many other people during the move. Plastic, unlike cardboard, can be cleaned.
The transfer shouldn’t be done by you
When you pack your thing in the plastic bins we have mentioned, you can clean each and every one of them with alcohol and a cloth, before and after the transfer. You will be packing items in your clean, virus-free house. But the transfer of the bins is something you should avoid. You should call a company to transfer the bins and boxes for you. Then, like we already mentioned, you can clean them after they get delivered.
Mental health during the move
We believe that it is important to explain a few things to you. Like you, we are normal people that are also frightened of COVID-19.
We are all in this together
You must understand that we are all in this together. We must do what is recommended for our safety. This situation is not something that you are used to, but keep in mind… This will all be over and your job is to help, in your own way, to speed up the process. You can do this only if you have faith, listen to doctors and their recommendations and do everything you can to keep yourself and your family safe. Spend time together in your home, read, watch movies, put on some music and clean the house together, make it fun.
Support your friends and family
Be supportive, your friends need it as well as your family. You may be moving and can’t see them, say your goodbyes and hug them, but you can talk over the phone. There are many ways to show your love and support. If you have older parents or grandparents, do not visit them even though you wanted to say goodbye to them too. They are much more likely to be harmed by the virus than younger people. If a family member has a medical condition, they require special care. Keep a safe distance from them, for them and for you. You want your loved ones to be safe by all means.
If you do everything that you have been advised and follow instructions of doctors, you are being responsible. Responsibility is something that requires a lot of courage. We have faith that you will always make the right choice. Remember to be responsible for yourself and your loved ones during the move.
You know what to do to be safe from COVID-19
We hope that this was informative and that you found what you were looking for. We, also, hope that we have given you some support and solidarity. You know what to do to protect your family from COVID-19 when moving. Good luck!