How To - July 6, 2019
Whenever you are moving house, you know that you have to be ready for loads of different expenses. You have to define your budget ahead of time, but also be ready for some potential unplanned costs. It’s never going to be completely smooth sailing and some unexpected problems might come up. You should also decide which things you want to splurge on and which ones you want to cut back on. If you want to save money on packing supplies, you definitely have a few ways of doing that. There are, of course, different supplies you can get raging from classic cardboard boxes to eco friendly moving boxes. The choice is yours. Here are some ways to spend less money on packing supplies.
Plastic bins vs. cardboard boxes
Obviously, the most important thing in the whole packing process is the type of boxes you use. It’s up to you to decide whether you want to go for cardboard boxes or if you want to pack your belongings in plastic bins. Both of the options have both pros and cons, so you should think it through before you make the decision. Also, both options give you the opportunity to save some money on packing materials, just in different ways.
How you’ll save money on packing supplies by choosing plastic bins
One of your options is getting plastic moving boxes. You can, of course, buy however many boxes you’ll need for your relocation. However, a way to spend less on packing supplies is to rent the plastic boxes. By opting for plastic bins, you are making sure your things stay safe and secure during the move. Also, you can look into green box rentals and choose to pack your belongings into eco-friendly plastic bins. Renting plastic boxes is the cheaper option, for sure. But, if you opt for buying a few bins, you can be sure that you’ll be able to reuse them time and time again and that they are cost-effective. So, buying plastic boxes instead of cardboard ones pays off in the long run as you’ll get more use out of them.
Save money on packing supplies by getting cardboard boxes
The obvious option and what most people instinctively go for are cardboard boxes. They are a classic packing material, they are easy to get your hands on and you can get them for free. There isn’t much more you could ask for when it comes to boxes. What appeals to most people is the fact that there are many places to get cardboard boxes for free and save money on packing supplies that way. You can’t really use cardboard boxes for many things after the move. Fortunately, there are ways to handle leftover packing materials if you feel overwhelmed by the cardboard.
Where to get free cardboard boxes and save money on packing supplies
Luckily for you, there are a few different places you can try to get cardboard boxes for free.
- Check out office supply stores and bookstores in your local area. They get stationary, all kinds of different supplies as well as books delivered in cardboard boxes. They surely don’t need all of those boxes once they empty them, so you can ask them to help you out with a few boxes.
- Supermarkets, restaurants and liquor stores can be your next target. They also get loads of different things delivered in boxes daily. They get fruits, vegetables, drinks and other foods delivered and all of these things come in different kinds of boxes. You can use these different types of boxes for packing different things. Try also paying a visit to pharmacies and drugstores.
- Another good place to ask for free packing supplies is home improvement stores. This is yet one more place that has unneeded boxes lying around and they should be able to help you out.
- If all else fails, you can always turn to the Internet. There are websites like The Freecycle Network, where people are willing to give you the boxes they used in their recent relocation for free.
It’s pretty common to get caught up in the boxes and bubble pack and forget about all the useful things you already own. Using the stuff that’s already in your home for packing is a great way to spend less money on packing materials. Most of us have plenty of things that we can utilize for packing and we might be unaware of it.
- You probably own a few suitcases or travel bags. Use them! They are made to carry a substantial amount of things so they can definitely come in handy when you’re moving.
- If you are taking furniture with you, you can actually utilize a few things for storing your things. Things like dresser drawers will definitely be useful. Your first option is to keep the drawers in the dresser along with your things and make sure that they are secure. However, that way the dresser will be heavier. You can wrap the drawers individually, but still keep some things inside of them.
- Don’t forget about garbage bags. A lot of things can fit into garbage bags, they are cheap and easy to get a hold of. Apart from fragile items, you can basically pack whatever you want into garbage bags.
- You can wrap your things into towels, clothes or linens. You are moving them anyway and they will keep your things safe as they are soft. Use these for wrapping sharp or fragile objects, you don’t have to buy bubble pack.
Save money on packing supplies
Now that you know that you can save money on packing supplies, you don’t have to worry about them as much. Basically, all you need to do is research all the available options and get creative with what you already have. After getting supplies, it’s time to start packing. Try to avoid making packing mistakes, if that’s possible.