How To - August 29, 2020
Pinpointing the right storage unit can be a challenge. But if you want to maximize the space in your storage room, it can prove to be even more difficult. To get the most of your storage unit, use these ideas by our Capital City Bins experts. Our storage facilities provide hundreds of clients with space, convenience, and security. If you don’t get enough benefits from having space within your storage unit, don’t worry, there are many ways to use your unit in the most efficient way. One of the most important factors here involves keeping the unit well organized. It will save you time when relocating items in or out of our facility.
Tips for choosing a storage unit
Storage space isn’t inexpensive, so you’ll want to pick out the smallest size unit that will still reasonably fit your stuff. As a general rule, a 5-by-10-foot storage room is about the size of a smaller bedroom. Along the same lines, a 10-by-30-foot unit will accommodate the contents of a standard-sized home. Including a one-car garage. But you could also benefit from our stackable bins with lids. However, size isn’t the only thing that matters when picking your new storage. There’s also a variety of different storage units, and each comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Consider:
- Firstly, how far is the unit from where you live, and will it be easy for you to get there?
- Secondly, does space have a good security system, and does someone monitor it at least part of the time?
- Thirdly, do you want a climate-controlled indoor space or will an outdoor unit work fine?
- Finally, how complicated is it for you to access the storage unit and move things in and out? For instance, if you rent a third-floor indoor storage unit, this might make it difficult to move heavy pieces easily.
Once you choose the right size, get ready to get the most of your storage unit.
Stack your stuff along the sides of the room
If you are storing an immense quantity of your belongings or stock, you are most likely going to rent a bigger unit in the facility. The best way to get the most of your storage unit and items easily accessible is by stacking everything along the sides, such that to leave a walking space in the middle.
Furthermore, it will be of tremendous help if you store all your items separately into sections. This trick will help you identify a specific type of your possessions more easily. Your upcoming relocation will also help you keep more fragile items together to keep an eye on them. Along the same lines, the less fragile items will also be separated, and therefore, everything will be much more organized. For instance, if you are storing household goods, you can keep dining room items together, bedroom items together, and so on.
Make a full inventory to get the most of your storage unit
Making a very detailed inventory of all your items in storage can be somewhat tasking. However, making a list of items that you have stored in every box can help you get the most of your storage unit. Save yourself a lot of time when looking for a specific item and not a specific box. You can also write down where you’ve put the box in the storage unit.
Labeling can make a ton of difference in your storage room
Sometimes people opt for sharing a storage unit with a neighbor, friend, or relative to save some money. In this scenario, you’ll want to differentiate your items from your storage buddy. The best way to do that is by using boxes with different labeling colors. You will be able to easily distinguish between your hobby items and your brother’s skiing equipment if you label everything in blue and red (respectively).
Make the most of the wall space and the ceiling
- Firstly, you should consider using the height of your space. Most people have the habit of stacking boxes and containers along the wall. This fills up the floor space of a unit, but at the same time, you are ignoring the wall space. A better way to utilize your storage unit is by putting pegboards on the walls. Then you can hang all sorts of objects on them. Anything from bags, and tools, to the artwork. You can easily push containers and furniture up against the walls, but the pegboards will provide you with ample space above.
- Additionally, you can hang S-hooks and bungee cords if you need to store some unusually shaped items. This may include bikes and outdoor equipment. Just make sure you can hang these items and still have room to enter the unit and arrange items underneath.
Also, you could hang shelves on top of pegboards for even more vertical storage space. These work amazingly when you need to store small kitchen appliances, shoes, and knick-knacks. Just remember not to put anything likely to melt on these higher shelves. Sometimes the air near the ceiling gets hot in the summer months.
Final tips to help you get the most of your storage unit
Once you have every single item configured the way you’d like, take the time to map out the location of all those items in your storage room. This will help you keep an inventory of what you have in the unit and, therefore, get the most of your storage unit. That way, the next time you need something, you’ll find it easily. Your storage unit rental experience can get even easier with some help from professionals. Contact us and we will help you get your storage unit loaded in one easy trip — on your schedule. With our expertise, organizing your storage will be a breeze.