At-Home Packing Tips - December 9, 2019
Packing is the hardest part of any move. There are some DIY packing mistakes you should avoid at all costs. We have prepared a short guide with tips and tricks how to avoid them and what can happen when you make them. We sincerely hope that you will find this helpful. So, without any further ado, let us dive right in!
What are DIY packing mistakes?
DIY packing mistakes are all the packing mistakes you do by yourself (DIY = do it yourself). So, every mistake you make on your own is a DIY mistake. However, people will be surprised how often this happens. Instead of wondering should you help your NYC movers, you will be wondering should you call them to help you.
Here is a list of some of the most common DIY mistakes:
- Breaking items. We mentioned earlier that packing is the hardest part of any move. Breaking of items can happen, and it can happen a lot of times. Some items are not made for conventional storage boxes. For example, you can get a Sterilite 18429001 Footlocker if you need a stronger storage/moving box. Stronger boxes can protect your items better during the move. However, they will not protect them from the inside. Thus, if you are getting a strong storage box, you should cover it with bubble wrap or something from the inside. This can help with the safety of your items.
- Damaging items. Damaging items is also not uncommon. Some people do not know enough about their inventory. For example, did you know that there were items that require climate controlled environment? We are not talking only about food, but about items made from leather, wood, and so on. They can get damaged during your move only because you did not know how to pack/store them. DIY packing mistakes are common, these are only some of the worst ones.
There are more mistakes, of course. Most of them directly depend on the storage containers. For example, ECO friendly moving boxes are good for almost anything. But cardboard moving boxes are only good for some items that cannot break. Thus, there are other DIY mistakes like the following:
- Losing items while packing. This is absolutely one of the worst scenarios possible. Not only did you lose your item, but you are probably moving the rest of it to your new location. When we lose something, the problem is not when we find it – the problem is will we realize we lost it. One of the worst feelings about a mistake a person can make is exactly that. Imagine you are moving your favorite chair. And you lost some of the screws that keep it together. You will only have a partial chair and it will take up some space. It is not good at all.
- Using wrong packing supplies (again). There are some household items that serve as packing supplies, but that is it. You cannot make up your own packing supplies or you might end up making a really big mistake. Some mistakes can be fixed, mistakes like this probably cannot. Why? Well, because your items might get out of their containers and create a big mess. You can even hurt yourself while transporting it. Use good packing supplies.
How to fix DIY packing mistakes?
The best thing to do is to educate yourself more about potential packing mistakes you can make at home. For example, there is a lot of information about packing on the Internet. It is a good start. You can also ask someone how to pack a specific piece of your inventory and in which container. However, you can also get plastic moving bins NYC, they are very useful and they might be the heroes of your packing, who knows?
You can fix your mistakes when you see them. The problem occurs when you do not see your packing mistakes. There is something you can do to fix this and you can start by:
- Making a checklist. This is one of the best ways to keep everything under control. A checklist will provide you with additional control factor for your packing. Since you want to do packing on your own, you will probably not have anyone around to teach you how something is done. More importantly, you will not have anyone around to tell you that you made a mistake. Mistakes happen, they are a part of our lives, however, a checklist can help prevent them from happening!
- Calling friends for help. This goes against our “DIY policy”, but sometimes you need help. When you make a mistake, you will make it on your own, most likely. There is always nice to have someone around to correct it or to help you improve. Rely on your friends, they can help a lot!
General thoughts about DIY packing mistakes
Mistakes are a part of life. However, when packing is concerned, the less mistakes – the better! You need to make sure that you do not make any. If you break something like a prized possession, chances are that you cannot repair it. So, the best preventive method for mistakes is not to make any! However, in case they happen, you should try to fix them as soon as possible. Of course, if fixing a mistake is dangerous in any way or problematic, you should not do it alone. Then, it will be okay to rely on a moving company for both advice and help. They are highly-trained professionals who can help out with anything you might need.
All in all, mistakes happen, we can agree about that. However, DIY packing mistakes can sometimes be harsh to move past. Damaging or breaking something that means a lot to you is never a pleasant thing. Thus, you should probably focus on reading guides on the internet and learning more about potential mistakes that can happen. Moreover, when you learn them, you can help other people in need. However, more importantly, your move will be a pleasant one without any problems! We hope this short guide helped you with your packing mistakes! Good luck!